Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas of kindness

at Hanna's place, 27.12.2010

My first Christmas in Finland has been amazingly warm :) and some things should be jotted down..


*Before 23.12: Received postcards from Anne’s family and my former classmate Hanna, also a to-my-liking gift from Anne.

*23.12: The first day completely off from school and work. I came to my teacher Piotr’s place to keep an eye on his five-year-old daughter when he was in hospital with his wife who was expecting to give birth. It was because their baby-sitter was unexpectedly unavailable for work on that day, and their nearest relative lived still too far away from Jyväskylä. I spent an evening having bread + tea and watching some cartoons with his daughter Nea (due to her family background, she at a same time spoke Polish + Finnish + English which did confuse me!).

Thank Life, the delivery went so well and we now welcome a new person to this worth-living world. :)

*24.12: Christmas Eve was spent at my VNese friends’ place with yummy food (some VNese stuff like “bún chả”, “bắp xào”, “bánh phồng tôm” and cheese pizza, Xmas cookie); plus lovely music and multi-genre movies. Couldn’t help but seeing the need to learn from my friends about cooking, decoration and kindness. Besides, at some certain times of the evening I damned myself silently for not knowing how to behave properly.

It is always like that; there are always new things I should know, think about, and practice them in a better way. However, as long as learning possibilities are still here and there, Life is good.

* 25.12: I had Christmas lunch with Anais’ big family in France last year; and today when being with Hardy family, I got chance to enjoy the atmosphere of an English-Finnish Christmas meal. Jersey kindly picked me up from my friends’ place and after the meal back to my apartment. Jersey is one of a few people who give me the feeling of trust at the very first moment they talk to me. We had only one course together, and rarely see each other at school; so I feel lucky to keep in touch with her.

*26 + 27.12: Going to visit my flatmate Hanna’s family. It must be a warm stay with another Finnish family.

[updated] First day warmer than previous -25 Celsius days. It was a meaningful trip for me. Hanna's family being really kind. Their cozy house. Christmas meals. Funny talks. First skating experience with everyone helping this pathetic me (huhu). Playing games next to an old fireplace. And all other traditional Finnish things. When i went to bed in the room of Hanna's childhood, it suddenly came to my mind that all i want for my life is something like that moment, when i could stay warm in a happy house when it was too dark and windy outside.


*28: May go to work again if Piotr's family situation is somehow settled down. Feels thankful to him, my supervisor, for always being enthusiastic enough to be in office with our group for entire days (8-22) even during the vacation, without any more wages.

Again, I’ve got to learn a lot from my teachers and mates, in this case it is the passion for studying/ working.

[updated] oooopps no work tomorrow, gonna read instead.

Well now time to get something out of my book and go to bed……… :D

No comments:

Post a Comment